opens in new tab or window
Skip to main content
Quick Links
Contact Us
Facebook
Instagram
City of Aurora, IL - Home - Logo
Menu
Search
Plan Your Visit
Sub-menu
Zoo Information
Sub-menu
History
Kids Zone
Zoo Map
Contact Us
Attractions
Sub-menu
Visitor Center
Sunken Garden
Mastodon Island
Animals
Sub-menu
Fan Favorites
Sub-menu
Wolf
Elk
Highland Cattle
Birds
Sub-menu
Bald Eagle
Great Horned Owl
Harris Hawk
Peafowl
Red Tail Hawk
Turkey
Turkey Vulture
Mammals
Sub-menu
American Elk
Gray Wolf
Highland Cattle
Alpaca
Goat
Reptile House
Sub-menu
African Spurred Tortoise
Ball Python
Burmese Python
California Desert Tortoise
California King Snake
Common Snapping Turtle
Eastern Box Turtle
Eastern Painted Turtle
Red Eared Slider
Red Milk Snake
Spotted Gar
Parent and Teacher Resources
Sub-menu
Parent Resources
Teacher Resources
Sub-menu
Field Trips/School Visits
Resource Links
Contact Us
Sub-menu
Employment Opportunities
Volunteer Application
Zoo Map and Directions
You Are Here :
Home
/
Plan Your Visit
/
Zoo Information
/
History
In This Section
Zoo Information
History
Kids Zone
Zoo Map
Contact Us
History
1915:
The Phillips Park Zoo was established
1916:
The birdhouse was built with a glass roof at a cost of $1,600.
1933:
The birdhouse was wrecked by a hailstorm.
1985:
The new birdhouse opened in May.
1920:
The zoo had 5 black bears, 10 monkeys, 6 elk, 3 buffalo, 2 foxes, 1 wolf and 1 deer, in addition to hundreds of birds of every description.
1926:
Bob Lisle built the stone wall leading to the zoo.
1934:
Once the Brookfield Zoo opened, it was decided to focus on a collection of native animals, rather than the giraffes and other large exotic animals that were showcased prior.
1937:
The zoo also became known as a museum, when the mastodon bones and tusks were displayed in the birdhouse. The zoo was home to monkeys, a coyote, baboons, rabbits, bears, pigeons, parakeets, parrots and lovebirds. The animal pens were rehabbed and new cages added through a WPA Project.
1950:
The barn was built in the zoo.
1964:
The water wheel was built out of cypress.
1983:
The original elk pen and small barn were constructed.
1984:
The outdoor bird cage/bird flight was built.
1985:
Judy the bear was donated to the zoo. Judy died in 1999. A macaw by the name of Farfel was donated by the Lincoln Park Zoo. Two black swans were donated by Ray Moses.
1986:
The newborn twin African pygmy goats named Billy Paul and Billy Joe arrived
1992:
The pillars at the zoo entrance were constructed in April and dedicated on June 28. The entrance wall, consisting of stone letters that read "Phillips Park Zoo," was built and installed in the fall. Sculptor Steve Weitzman was commissioned by the Aurora Public Art Commission to design the entrance pillars, which are decorated with American black bears on top, and animal sculptures on the sides. On each pillar there were three insets designed, one of a four-horned sheep, one of a fox and the other a swan, each on a different side of the pillar.
1996:
"Chopper" the caiman arrived in April. Otters "Teeter and Totter" were a new addition to the zoo exhibits.
1999:
A new water-slide exhibit was designed for the otters.
2002:
The otter exhibit was redesigned
2001:
The elk were moved to a more natural habitat in the lagoon area (former skating pond area). The perimeter-fencing project was completed at the Phillips Park Zoo. A new wolf habitat was added for "Dakota," Cheyenne" and "Aurora," along with a viewing shelter.
2002:
The Bald Eagle Exhibit opened on July 19, 2002. Work had begun earlier in the year to prepare for the first of the Zoo's eagles' to arrival. It is a 50 by 25 foot open-air shelter that houses a pond and a waterfall, with a backdrop mural of a mountain setting.
The Elk Viewing Deck was opened to the public in August, providing an open view of the elk enclosure.
The four-horned sheep were donated to a farm to make room for the construction of the new Mountain Lion Exhibit.
2005:
Mountain Lion Exhibit opens.
2006:
Reptile House renovation completed.
2007:
New Zoo entrance arch constructed.
Back to top